A new iMovie means a new blog! Come visit:
Unlocking iMovie '09 & '11

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I love the keyboard shortcuts in iMovie '08. Michael Avory sent me this tip on using Shift and the arrow keys to mark start and end points of a clip while you are editing. I love the trick because if I am being slow and methodical about selecting a particular range of footage, I don't have to keep holding my mouse button down as I drag. It also works great because it means you can select footage during playback, no dragging required.

Anyway, take a moment to try out Michael's great tip:

Here is a tip for setting IN/OUT points that might interest you:

Make sure clip is not selected (no yellow frame). Play/drag to IN-
point (pause), hit shift + left arrow (IN is marked) Play/drag to OUT-
point (pause), shift + left arrow and the clip is selected from IN to
OUT. To select a portion of clip up to a specific point: play/drag to
point, hit shift+left arrow, place cursor at start of clip, shift +
left arrow and the clip is selected up to your first chosen point.
These are very useful for editing clips to the beat of a music track
etc.

3 comments: to “ Reader Tip: Use Shift-Arrow to set start and end points

  • Anonymous
    October 26, 2007 at 3:22 PM  

    Another tip that applies if you have a portion of a clip selected. You can shift click (the mouse or the left or right arrow keys) to move either the right or left handle of the selection. Whichever handle is closest to the cursor is the one that will move. This applies whether the cursor is inside or outside the selected portion. I find this enormously useful and use it in the events and projects screens.

  • Anonymous
    January 20, 2008 at 1:52 PM  

    Are you sure? When I tried, the 2nd position (measured in time) is adjustable (using the left or right arrow key, depending on which direction one wants the edge to shift), but the 1st position (irregardless whether it's left or right of the 2nd) is NOT adjustable with either arrow key. Someone please explain how I can make either side adjustable with the arrow keys (i.e., without affecting the other)!

  • Jojo
    July 8, 2008 at 8:32 AM  

    THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOUUUUUU FOR THIS TIP! I have been sooooo frustrated with my editing! Do you also know if there is a way to just "split" a clip in halve? Sorry about my poor english...