A new iMovie means a new blog! Come visit:
Unlocking iMovie '09 & '11


Apple is tweaking iMovie '08 again. This time version 7.1.2 has been pushed out to the masses via Software Update. (If you don't see it, you probably need to run the Quicktime 7.5 update first.) You can also download the standalone installer if you prefer, just be sure to run the standalone Quicktime 7.5 installer first (for Leopard, for Tiger, and for Panther).
Apple says:

This update addresses general compatibility issues, improves overall stability, and addresses a number of other minor issues.
I have learned a few more details on what this update improves, namely:
  • Support for Panasonic's HDC-SD-9 and HDC-HS-9
  • Support for the Flip Mino
  • Direct import of MPEG-1 videos from Sony's Digital Still Cameras (Pretty slick, it allows you to pick and choose what you import from the SDHC card directly into iMovie.)
  • Improved AVCHD import on multi-core systems (Most Macs of recent date have multi-core processors, so if you import AVCHD, you will probably see improvements.)
  • Fixes a number of critical bugs
If you have seen any changes, for better or for worse, please share in the comments!

15 comments: to “ iMovie Software Update Out: Version 7.1.2

  • Landya
    June 16, 2008 at 4:26 AM  

    Aaron:
    How does it "offer support for" the Flip Mino?
    Does this update make the Flip Mino plug 'n play with iMovie 08?

    Good to see you posting again.

  • Eugene Ware
    June 16, 2008 at 6:53 AM  

    I can't find any other information about the new iMovie 08 update and the flip mino. Do you have any more details?

  • Aaron
    June 17, 2008 at 5:54 PM  

    @ Marie & Eugene: Importing movies from the Flip Mino works basically like importing movie files. It's not true plug-and-play, but it's easy enough.

    You need to connect the Mino to your computer then run the "Flip Mino for Mac" program that comes bundled on the camcorder. Install the 3ivx MPEG-4 Decodec. (You may have done this already.)

    Once that is installed, launch iMovie and choose File->Import Movies. Navigate to the 100VIDEO folder inside the FLIPVIDEO disk icon. You just import the selected .avi files and it will add them as an event.

    Hope this helps.

  • Landya
    June 17, 2008 at 8:17 PM  

    Thanks Aaron!

  • Eugene Ware
    June 19, 2008 at 8:39 AM  

    Apple just published the details here:

    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1989?viewlocale=en_US?sr=xlr8yourmac

    Thanks aaron for the info.

  • ruffdeezy
    July 6, 2008 at 3:24 AM  

    I just updated to 10.5.4 and iMovie won't import movies from my flip mino anymore on my iMac. It works on my macbook which is at 10.5.3. Both versions are 7.1.2 of iMovie. On my iMac it goes through the import process but then nothing shows up. What is going on?

  • ruffdeezy
    July 6, 2008 at 3:29 AM  

    nevermind, im an idiot

  • Fido
    July 14, 2008 at 2:14 PM  

    I'm trying to import to iMovie by card reader from my SD9. I have the latest software for iMovie and Quick time but I am getting nowhere. Anyone else still having same problem?

  • Fido
    July 15, 2008 at 9:35 AM  

    I have finally cracked it.
    I took my Macbook into the Apple Store. Charles, my trainer, checked that I had the latest system software, tweaked my Quick Time preferences and lo and behold I was able to import to iMovies using the SDHC card reader. When I opened iMovies the camera was automatically detected and off I went.
    So I assumed it was all down to my QT preferences tweak.
    I went home a happy man.
    Got home. Found that my iMac was already using the same revised preferences advised by Charles.
    Tried to import on the iMac. No luck. Tried to import on my Macbook (which worked in the Store) No luck.
    Switched off Airport on laptop. Was able to import to iMovies.
    Unplugged network cable from my router. Was able to import iMovies on my iMac.
    Then instead of unpluging ethernet cable I simply went to network preferences and temporarily disabled the network. Was able to import to iMovies.
    So I had a network interference problem.
    I will try and find out what the network problem was but it doesn't really matter. As long as I ensure the network is off when I want to import clips all should be well. Hope this helps someone else!!!!!

  • Anonymous
    July 16, 2008 at 1:56 AM  

    Has anybody noticed that 7.1.2 is signifgantly slower and burdensome on the processor than 7.1.1? Especially when working with audio tracks.

  • RecessionDIY
    August 7, 2008 at 3:47 PM  

    Version 7.1.2 (and 7.1.4) have problems. In my case it crash at start. First announces that had detected a nonexistent camera. Then tries to scan its content. While "generating thumbnails" it crashes.
    Version 7.1.1 works well.

  • bs
    August 15, 2008 at 3:47 PM  

    when the updates first came out, imovie broke completely. for days i couldn't make any new projects, though i could open older ones. then, it mysteriously fixed itself when .4 came out, only to break again yesterday. same problem. it looks like the files are all still there, but now i can't play the movies i just made. is anyone else having that problem??

  • Anonymous
    October 15, 2008 at 2:48 PM  

    @scopinion;

    I have exactly the same problem my Intel iMac. If I upgrade to 7.12 or later, as soon as I run the app it detects a camera and tries to import images, but no camera is connected. After a few moments it crashes out. Unusable. Gone back to 7.11 - If you've had or hear of any fixes, would love to hear about it. Interesting to note that my MacBook is running 7.14 - no issues.

  • Anonymous
    December 9, 2008 at 4:10 PM  

    I bet all of you have external firewire HDs. Disconnect them and iMovie will run flawlessy.
    Obviously this application needs another patch...

  • trung
    November 25, 2011 at 8:04 PM  

    great.
    thanks for blog.