A new iMovie means a new blog! Come visit:
Unlocking iMovie '09 & '11

"Gah!", I said. "Why can't I select an entire clip by clicking on it?"

"Double-click? No."

"Double-click really fast? No."

"GAH!"

Well, I was right. I couldn't select an entire clip with one click...yet.
Luckily, the iLife UI engineers weren't out to lunch on this one. If you go to the iMovie preferences, you will find a setting to make the necessary change.

The default for this setting is to select four seconds of video with each click. Notice that the timing for that setting is adjustable. You can also set it so that your clicks will deselect everything. (You would use this if you only want to select clips by dragging.) I like selecting an entire clip with one click because it seems the most intuitive to me. Glad to have that sorted out.

6 comments: to “ How to select an entire clip with one click

  • Sharon Reilly
    August 27, 2007 at 11:04 AM  

    Do you know how to select more than one clip? I keep clicking away and nothing...I feel like an idiot.
    Thanks for your blog it's helpful!

  • Aaron
    August 27, 2007 at 11:23 AM  

    This is my biggest frustration with iMovie '08. It can't be done. Hopefully multiple clip selection makes it to the top of the future features list.

  • Speirs In SLO
    August 28, 2007 at 11:39 AM  

    Funny, it does say in the iMovie online maual that multiple clips can be seleted by holding down the command key. They are wrong. I felt like a mental patient trying to do it over and over again. Try deleting 1000 clips - one by one.

    Good thing I kept iMovie HD

  • Aaron
    August 29, 2007 at 8:55 PM  

    @ Guy,

    You are actually experiencing a bug where the iMovie HD help files are being displayed instead of the iMovie '08 help files. You can read about the solution to *that* problem here:

    http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=5085974�

  • Aaron
    August 29, 2007 at 10:09 PM  

    Sorry that link didn't come out right. Try this one:
    link

  • jgarbers
    July 23, 2008 at 2:06 PM  

    I discovered this blog today, and although this thread's pretty old, I thought I'd point out that you can option-click in a clip to select the entire thing. Guess they must have added that in one of the upgrades...?